Our show this week revolves around a question from listener Gino Cukale about the purported relationship between Sally Hemings and Thomas Jefferson. We discuss the historical record and look to first-hand accounts in an attempt to answer this question.
- Lewis & Clark Trail Heritage Foundation: We Proceeded On
- #795 Affair of Honor: When asked about Sally Hemings, President Thomas Jefferson declines discussion and walks off the show.
- Thomas Jefferson: An Intimate History by Fawn Brodie
- Thomas Jefferson's Monticello, Daniel P. Jordan, President, TJF: TJF Response to the Minority Report
- The Jefferson-Hemings Controversy: Report of the Scholars Commission by Robert F. Turner
- Enyclopedia Virginia: "Life Among the Lowly, No. 3" by Israel Jefferson (December 25, 1873)